Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (ODEI) at Frederick Community College has primary responsibility for providing College-wide leadership on best practices as well as effective and ethical strategies to build and sustain an inclusive and excellent College community. FCC fulfills its mission of educational excellence through culturally conscious and responsive classrooms, policies, practices, workplaces, and activities. Through strategic planning, professional development, technical assistance, curricular and co-curricular interventions and development, ODEI centers the principles of equity and inclusion in all facets of the College.
In addition to ODEI, the diversity, equity, and inclusion mission of the College is fulfilled through the following strategic plans, policies, protocols, support services, councils, committees, and leadership teams:
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Strategic Plan 2019-2024
- The President’s Diversity Advisory Council
- Policies & Protocols
- Professional Development
- Strategic & Technical Support
- DEI Resources, Programs, and Support at the College
Do you have other needs at the College or ways that you believe FCC can be more inclusive? Are there better ways FCC can serve you? Email the Executive Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Dr. Beth Douthirt-Cohen, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
FCC DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION STRATEGIC PLAN 2019-2024
On June 19, 2019, the FCC Board of Trustees approved FCC’s first five-year college-wide Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Strategic Plan. The Plan was the result of college and community conversations over the previous 8-months around the strengths and areas of needed growth for the College focused on four main goals:
- Increase access and success for traditionally underrepresented students.
- Increase recruitment and retention of a diverse workforce.
- Prepare students for an increasingly diverse community, workforce, and world.
- Ensure a more welcoming and inclusive learning and workplace environment for students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
Under each of these goals are action items with a clear timeline and metrics of success. For more information about the DEI Strategic Plan, click here, or contact the Executive Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Dr. Beth Douthirt-Cohen, at email@example.com.
PRESIDENT’S DIVERSITY ADVISORY COUNCIL
In support of the FCC mission to prepare an increasingly diverse college community, the President’s Diversity Advisory Council (PDAC) is charged with advising the President and Senior Leadership on matters involving diversity, equity, and inclusion. PDAC acts as an institutional and educational resource within and beyond the campus community and provides college-wide coordination and direction on diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives.
Every semester, ODEI, the Center for Teaching & Learning, and Human Resources, does an extensive professional development calendar for faculty and staff who are interested. Professional development supports employees in becoming more culturally conscious and responsive to diverse populations including first-generation students, Students of Color, immigrant students, LGBTQIA+ students, low-income students, students experiencing housing and/or food insecurity, student parents, non-traditionally aged students, student veterans, religious minority students, students with disabilities, members of the Deaf or Hard of Hearing community, among others.
There are Alternative Credit packages available to full-time faculty who want to focus on strengthening their culturally responsive practices in the classroom and beyond. In 2018 and 2019, there were Cultural Competency & Global Competency Summer Institutes for full-time and part-time faculty to complete course transformations. FCC also offers employees the ability to take the Intercultural Development Inventory (IDI) a personal assessment of your intercultural competence. After taking the IDI, we can help you action plan how to strengthen your intercultural awareness and skills.
Are you looking for specific types of professional development in this area? Contact the Executive Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Dr. Beth Douthirt-Cohen, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
STRATEGIC & TECHNICAL SUPPORT
In addition to leading College-wide strategic planning, ODEI is available to provide strategic or technical support for individuals, units, departments, clubs, student groups, among others who seek to strengthen their inclusive practices and/or programming. Have questions? Contact the Executive Director of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Dr. Beth Douthirt-Cohen, at email@example.com.
POLICIES & PROTOCOLS
For additional policies for students, click here. For additional policies for employees, click here.
RESOURCES, PROGRAMS, SUPPORT
- Multicultural Student Services
- Veteran and Military Services
- Services for Students with Disabilities
- Adult Services
- Adult Education
- English as a Second Language (ESL)
- International Students
- Immigrant Student Inclusion Efforts (for Undocumented Students, DACA Students, and Maryland Dream Act Students)
- Maryland Dream Act: Information for Undocumented Students
- Maryland Dream Act Application
- Are you an immigrant student who needs support while navigating FCC? We are here to help you! Here are some of the people who can support you:
- Britney Carter, Assistant Director, Financial Aid, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chianti Blackmon, Director of Multicultural Student Services, email@example.com
- Beth Douthirt-Cohen, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ivania Amador, Adult Education & ESL Transition Specialist, email@example.com
- Molly Carlson, Assistant Dean, Academic Affairs, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Kate Kramer-Jefferson, Director of Services for Students with Disabilities, kkramerJefferson@frederick.edu
- Global Learning Committee
A group of faculty and staff who are strengthening global awareness, skills, and knowledge throughout the College, including curricular interventions and co-curricular programming. Interested in getting involved or knowing about the programming? Email Dr. Ivy Chevers, Co-Chair, Global Learning Committee at email@example.com.
- LGBTQIA+ (Lesbian, Gay, Trans*, Queer, Intersex, Allies and more!) Inclusion Efforts
- LGBTQIA+ Inclusion Team: Contact Co-Chairs, Edward Wangler at firstname.lastname@example.org and/or Dr. Lisa DiDonato at email@example.com
- Gender & Sexuality Alliance: The GSA student club offers social and support services for gay/lesbian/bisexual/transgender/queer/questioning + students, faculty, staff and straight/cis allies. For more information, contact Edward Wangler at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Name Change: Need to change your name in the FCC system? Fill out the Name Change Form.
- Have other needs/questions and/or concerns? Contact Dr. Beth Douthirt-Cohen at email@example.com.